The first church was started some time after 1750 from a land grant from John Penn on 1 3/4 acres. The first Lutheran log church was dedicated on November 6, 1756. It was later burned down by Indians. A second log church was built in 1769. In 1826, the Reformed Congregation started to hold services in the church, and in October 1832, it became known as St. Paul’s Union Church. On April 29, 1832, a new stone church was built, which is still part of the present church. In June 1929, an additional 20 feet was added and the interior remodeled. The Church was incorporated in 1960. On December 8, 1964, The U.C.C. congregation dissolved. The Christian Education Addition was completed in 1972.
Legend has it, the name, “Smoke Church,” originated from the members of the congregation sitting and smoking while waiting for the circuit preacher, who was often late due to bad roads. When the minister arrived, smoking ceased and people became attentive to God’s Word.
Hours: Sunday 8:45 am